Outdoor Organizations & Agencies
- 1000 Friends of Florida. PO Box 5949, Tallahassee, FL 323145948. Web site www.1000fof.usf.edu.
Phone (850) 2226277. A citizen advocacy group that works
to help Florida's communities effectively manage growth.
- Center for Marine Conservation. One Beach Drive SE, Suite 304, St. Petersburg,
FL 33701. Web site www.cmc-ocean.org.
Phone (813) 895-2188. Florida Keys Field Office:
513 Fleming Street, #14, Key West, FL 33040. Phone (305) 295-3370. A nationwide
organization devoted to
protecting marine wildlife and habitats.
- Coastal Conservation Association Florida. 905 East Park Avenue, Tallahassee,
FL 32301. Web site www.cca-florida.com.
Phone (850) 2243474. An organization of conservation-oriented
anglers and supporters dedicated to protecting marine resources and recreational
- The Conservancy of Southwest Florida. 1450 Merrihue Drive, Naples, FL 34102.
Web site www.conservancy.org.
Phone (941) 2620304. An organization committed
to conserving the biodiversity and natural resources of Southwest Florida's
- Florida Audubon Society. 1331 Palmetto Avenue, Suite 110, Winter Park,
FL 32789. Web site www.audubon.usf.edu.
Phone (407) 539-5700. A statewide organization
promoting the protection, preservation, and restoration of birds and all
other wildlife, and their habitat through
science-based advocacy and education.
- Florida Defenders of the Environment. 4424 NW 13 Street, Suite C-8, Gainesville,
FL 32609.Web site www.stjohnsriver.org/fde.
Phone (352) 3788465. A private, nonprofit organization
that works to restore and preserve natural Florida.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection. 3900 Commonwealth Boulevard,
Tallahassee, FL 32399-3000. Web site www.dep.state.fl.us.
Phone (850) 488-1234. State agency charged with
conserving and managing Florida's environment and natural resources.
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Everglades Region (includes
the Florida Keys), 8535 Northlake Boulevard, West
Palm Beach, FL 33412-3303. Web site www.state.fl.us/gfc.
Phone (561) 625-5122. State agency that protects
Florida's wildlife and freshwater fish. As of July 1, 1999, the GFC will
become the Florida Fish and Wildlife
Conservation Commission that will regulate both
salt and fresh water and wildlife resources.
- Florida Keys Land and Sea Trust. PO Box 536, Marathon, FL 33050. Phone
(305) 7433900. Works for the preservation of the best remaining natural areas
the Florida Keys.
- Florida Panther Society. Route 1, Box 1895, White Springs, FL 32096-9611.
Web site www.atlantic.net/~oldfla/panther/panther.html .
Phone (904) 397-2945. A nonprofit environmental
education and support organization for the preservation of the Florida
- Florida Public Interest Research Group. 704 West Madison Street, Tallahassee,
FL 32304. Web site www.pirg.org/floridapirg.
Phone (850) 2243321. A statewide advocacy group
that investigates environmental problems, educates the public about solutions,
and lobbies for reforms to preserve
- Florida Wildlife Federation. PO Box 6870, Tallahassee, FL 32314. Web site www.fwf.usf.edu.
Phone (850) 6567113. A nonprofit, conservation,
education organization composed of concerned Floridians with an interest
in preserving, managing, and improving
Florida's fish, wildlife, soil, water, and plant
- Florida Wildlife Federation/National Wildlife Federation Joint
Project. 5051 Castello Drive, Suite 240, Naples,
FL 34103. Web site www.nwf.org/nwf/index.html.
Phone (941) 643-4111. An office monitoring and
commenting on southwestern Florida development issues that may have negative
- National Audubon SocietyEverglades Ecosystem Restoration Campaign.
444 Brickell Avenue, Suite 850, Miami, FL 33131-2450. Web site www.audubon.org.
Phone (305) 371-6399. A team of scientists, policy
experts, educators, and grassroots specialists, working to ensure that the
Everglades restoration plan
is comprehensive and that there is broad-based
public support for restoration.
- National Marine Fisheries Service. Southeast Regional Office, 9721 Executive
Center Drive North, St. Petersburg, FL 33702.
Web site caldera.sero.nmfs.gov.
Phone (850) 234-6541. A federal agency charged
with building sustainable fisheries, recovering protected species, and sustaining
- National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration. U.S. Department of Commerce,
14 Street & Constitution Avenue NW, Room 6013, Washington, DC 20230.
Web site www.noaa.gov. Phone (202)
482-6090. Federal agency charged with conserving the nation's coastal and
and with predicting changes in the earth's environment.
- National Park Service. Southeast Region Office, 100 Alabama Street SW,
1924 Building, Atlanta, GA 30303. Web site www.nps.gov/index.html.
Phone (404) 562-3100. The service is charged with
conserving the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wildlife
within national parks for
now and for the enjoyment of future generations.
- Nature Conservancy, Florida Chapter. 222 South Westmonte Drive, Suite 300,
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714. Web site www.tnc.org/infield/State/Florida/florida.htm .
Phone (407) 682-3664. A conservation organization
committed to preserving natural diversity by protecting lands and waters
and supporting the best examples of
all elements of our natural world.
- Nature Conservancy, Florida Keys Initiative. 201 Front Street, Suite 222,
Key West, FL 33040. Web site www.tnc.org.
Phone (305) 296-3880. A nonprofit conservation
organization whose mission is to preserve the land and marine environments
of the Florida Keys.
- Rails to Trails Conservancy of Florida. 2545 Blairstone Pines Drive, Tallahassee,
FL 32314. Web site www.railtrails.org.
Phone (850) 942-2379. A nonprofit conservation
organization working to create and connect greenways and recreational trails
- Reef Relief. 201 William Street, Key West, FL 33040. Web Site reefrelief.org.
Phone (305) 294-3100. Key West-based organization
dedicated to preserving and protecting coral reef ecosystems through local,
regional, and global efforts.
- Save the Manatee Club. 500 North Maitland Avenue, Maitland, FL 32751. Web
Phone (800) 432-5646 and (407) 5390990 outside
the United States. A nonprofit organization that promotes public education
and protection for the endangered
West Indies manatee.
- Sierra Club, Florida Chapter. 475 Central Avenue, Suite M-1, St. Petersburg,
FL 33701-3817. Web site www.sierraclub.org/chapters/fl.
Phone (813) 824-8813. An organization dedicated
to exploring, enjoying, and protecting the wild places of the earth.
- The Trust for Public Land. 306 North Monroe Street, Tallahassee, FL 323017635. Web
Phone (850) 2227911. Creates parks for America's people, from intercity
and recreation spots to wilderness, greenways,
and bicycling trails.
- U.S. Coast Guard. District 7 Brickell Plaza Federal Building, 909 SE First
Avenue, Miami, FL 33131-3050. Web site www.uscg.mil/contact.html.
Phones: Miami (305) 536-5641. Upper Keys (305)
664-4404. Middle Keys (305) 743-6778. Lower Keys (305) 292-8856. Ft. Myers
(covers Everglades City and
Naples) (941) 463-5755. VHF Channel 16. A federal
agency that responds to emergencies on the water.